Bariatric surgical procedure helps in weight loss by reducing the food amount that stomach can hold. Some of the common bariatric surgical procedures include adjustable gastric band, sleeve gastrectomy, biliopancreatic diversion, and gastric bypass. This guide will brief you some more details of lihavuusleikkaus procedures.
- Gastric Bypass
Usually there’re two components of this procedure. Firstly, a stomach pouch of around 30 milliliters or one ounce is created by separating top of stomach from its rest of the part. After this, first portion of small intestine is carved and its bottom part is connected to new small stomach pouch.
Further, the top part of small intestine is connected to down part of the intestine so that digestive enzymes and stomach acids can easily mix with food.
There are some benefits of bypass surgery:
- It leads to long term reduction in body weight.
- It restricts the food consumption.
- It leads to conditions which may increase energy expenditure.
- It leads to positive changes in gut hormones which enhance satiety and reduce appetite.
- Typically, this surgery cures 50% of excess body weight.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
By this surgery, a small pouch is created in patient’s stomach which holds very small volume of food as compared to a normal one. Such reduction in size of stomach pouch helps in food intake i.e. calorie consumption. This surgery also affects gut hormones which further affects other factors like blood sugar levels, satiety, and hunger.
It has been shown by the studies that sleeve gastrectomy, just like gastric bypass helps in curing type-2 diabetes.
There are some advantages of sleeve gastrectomy:
- It reduces the food amount that stomach can hold.
- This procedure is relatively shorter and requires shorter stay at hospital as compared to other surgeries i.e. 2 days
- Leads to positive changes in the gut hormones which improve satiety, reduce appetite and suppress hunger.
- Induces significant and rapid weight loss which is similar to the results achieved with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Adjustable Gastric Band
Under this surgery, a small stomach pouch is placed near the top part of stomach. This small stomach pouch ensures that patient feels satisfied and less hungry which further leads to feeling of fullness.
There are following benefits of this surgery:
- This surgery reduces the food intake of patient by decreasing the food amount which stomach can hold.
- It leads to weight reduction by around 50%
- It requires relatively shorter care by hospital. Most of the time, patients are discharged within a day.
- This procedure doesn’t require rerouting of intestines and cutting of stomach.
- This procedure is reversible and the band used to reduce the stomach pouch size can be adjusted as per the need.
- This procedure has the lowest mortality and postoperative complications in comparison to other ones.
Who Can Go For Bariatric Surgery?
A patient having body mass index of 40 or more can go for surgery. Moreover, if a person had body mass index of 35 and more, and is suffering from obesity related diseases such as hypertension, sleep apnea, lipid abnormalities, fatty liver diseases, gastrointestinal diseases etc., he/she is also eligible for this procedure.
This Guest Post has been written by Kevin Edward. In case you are also looking for lihavuusleikkaus procedure, contact the health clinic for the best services. It is one of the best center having professional surgeons.